Monday, July 22, 2013

My Ten Dollar Maxi Skirt (McCalls 6654)

After giving my first maxi skirt a test drive, I realized how much more comfortable it is for everyday errands than the usual khaki shorts or pants. So I decided to make another one but this time in the more versatile black and  using McCalls 6654 as a guideline. This multi-sized pattern offers the option of a semi-fitted or a loose-fitting skirt. Unlike the yoga style waistband I used in my first skirt, this one has a narrower elasticized waistband. I used one yard of black rayon jersey purchased from Gorgeous Fabrics during the July 4 sale. True to its description, this fabric is super soft and has a wonderful drape. It is not sheer or heavy so it's the perfect choice for a maxi skirt. 




The view I made was for the looser A-line. But seeing that I didn't have enough fabric for that view, I just used the pattern as a guideline, following the waistline as drafted but narrowing at the hemline to accommodate each skirt piece. 




Wooly Nylon serger thread.









With the right needle and thread, this was an easy breezy project. There were only three pattern pieces to use (one skirt front, one skirt back, one waistband). To mark the back side, I used the complimentary dress tag that came with my fabric order.



Here it is paired with the Jalie racerback.
Considering that most maxi skirts are being sold for more than $40.00 at most stores, I'm a happy camper!











No comments:

Post a Comment