Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Simplicity 1693



This pattern is definitely one of my TNT patterns. I have sewn five different styles of blouses just from this pattern alone. I am going to talk about the most recent three finished projects.

True to its name, this pattern is so simple. One yard of fabric was able to accommodate the front, back and sleeve pieces.


View A is blouson style with elasticized waistline and long sleeves. 

Fabric used was a silk blouseweight fabric purchased from Emma One Sock. 

Modifications I made:
Neckline sewn with elastic thread on the bobbin to make subtle ruffles.


Instead of making a waistline casing and putting a 1/4" wide elastic, I just sewed around the waistline using an elastic thread in the bobbin. 



I made the sleeves 3/4 instead of full length and sewed around the bottom edge using elastic thread in the bobbin (again!) to achieve a ruffled effect. I also finished the hem using the roll hemmer of my Juki MO 654 serger.

I finished the bottom hem of the blouse in the same manner as the sleeves.

View B is a simple pullover style with flutter sleeves.
I did not make any modifications and followed everything as instructed. 

Fabric used was a polyester crepe de chine from Sawyer Brooks.






Since my fabric was not sheer, I finished the seams by simply serging. I decided to have some fun and use contrasting thread  for serging. 


View C is a sleeveless blouson style with attached ribbon. 

Fabric used was 100% cotton voile from Sawyer Brooks.



Modifications:



I fully lined the top as the fabric was really sheer. I just used the same pattern pieces to draft the lining. 
Instead of attaching a separate piece of casing for the waistline elastic, I just sewed through the lining and main fabric layers to create a casing for the 1/4" wide elastic. 

I finished all seams using the serger.

A final note about the pattern. I found the sizing to be really generous. My body measurements placed me at size 8 but after sewing a muslin, I had to use straight size 4 with no alterations, not even in the bodice length. With that said, this pattern is definitely a keeper!














No comments:

Post a Comment